isolani - accessible, dynamic web applications
I am Mike Davies, a full-stack Web Developer and Web Architect.
In my role as a Senior Web Developer at Lovefilm I co-architected and developed a flexible multi-funnel signup flow, and architected and led the development of the replacement Disks-by-Post Rental List. Both projects were cited by Amazon as justification for their complete acquisition of LOVEFiLM in 2011.
Before that I was a senior web developer for Yahoo Europe, working with an amazingly talented web development team based in London (and Munich!). I specialised in web accessibility, and learning about internationalisation the hard way.
I was also the Technical Lead Web Developer on Legal & General's fantastically successful web accessibility project. I consulted on accessibility and web standards concerns through the tendering process, as well as leading the redevelopment of the online applications.
The Legal & General web accessibility project became a case study of the business benefits of web accessibility for the Disability Rights Commission's PAS 78 - Guidelines for the commissioning accessible websites. We demonstrated that the conversion rate of the site immediately doubled because of the improvements we made, and that the work paid for itself in about five months.
I use the pseudonym Isofarro in my online wanderings.
Other sites I run
- Accessibility Tips - tips, and practical suggestions for developing accessible websites
- ChessVault - reporting on super Grandmaster tournaments, along with analysis and annotations of games
- HTML FAQ - the Unofficial Frequently Asked Questions for the alt.html newsgroup
- Chess Apps - reviewing chess software running on mobiles and tablets (iPad and Android) from the perspective of serious chess players.
- Accessibility of text-only websites - An examination of how creating text-only versions of websites affects accessibility.
- Creating Structured Tables - A brief tour of the elements and attributes used in building well-structured tables.
- Accessibility in [Company Name] - Building a business and legal case for accessible websites.
- The Mythical Mailto: - Discussing the misuse of the mailto URI as an action to the form.