ReUSEIT EntriesThursday, November 06, 2003
Jakob Nielsen, the usability guru, has a website that isn't the most exciting or well designed on the planet. And because of its plainness it is subject to much ridicule by webdesigners who can see but not think.
In this light, BuiltForTheFuture approached Jakob Nielsen with the idea of running a competition to redesign his website using modern web standards, accessible and usable webdesign. The focus was on a website that complements Jakob's approach to usability.
Looking through all the entries this morning, these are the ones I think look superb:
- Minimal Jakob by Patrick Lauke. The first entry on the list, and in my opinion the best of the lot. It is a superb example of the blending of accessibility, usability and design.
- Use Me by Gaston Garcia. Excellent feel to the design. Smart and refreshing.
- Try it, get it, useIT... by Omega Solution. Super clean and professional. Reminds me of about.com but done properly.
- The one I caught fishing was *this* big! by Amanda Owen. Tounge-in-cheek but it certainly works as a usability website. This would be my second placed entry. It loses serious points with the fixed width design though.
- Only a few graphics... by Jonathan Biggs. Exquisite clarity and layout. Pity about the typo in the main logo!
Well done guys and gals.